Thursday, October 13, 2011

SHAW NIELSEN TEACHES US HOW TO FEED A HUNGRY GIANT!




Workman Publishing recently asked Shaw Nielsen to illustrate a pop-up book called How Do You Feed a Hungry Giant? by Caitlin Friedman. A very versatile artist, Shaw can illustrate a heartwarming 30-page narrative, and also think quickly and conceptually for editorial jobs. No matter what the assignment, you can always count on Shaw for his big sense of humor and vivid imagination.
"My process for illustrating children's characters is a well kept secret - until now! I often put myself in the mindset of the character and pose myself in the mirror, making the noises I imagine the character would make if he/she could jump off the page and speak. In the case of the Hungry Giant I would find myself hunched over in front of the mirror repeating "nom nom nom!" My dog found the whole thing a little confusing and her expressions made for great inspiration for the dog, Cowgirl, in the book.
I think my favorite part of the book was working with the graphic designer to develop all of the pop-up and paper engineered elements."

-Shaw Nielsen

CLICK HERE TO VIEW MORE WORK FROM SHAW NIELSEN'S PORTFOLIO

No comments:

Post a Comment